Bissell 1132A Symphony All-in-One Vacuum and Steam Mop is, as its name suggests, vacuum cleaner and steam mop combination, in one appliance. Due to its relatively small size, acceptable price and many features, it is one of the most popular devices in its class.
Bissell 1132A Symphony Features
– It saves cleaning time by vacuuming and steaming at the same time.
– It uses strong cyclonic vacuum action for debris pick up. Bissell 1132 uses so-called Dry Tank Technology – debris stay dry even when vacuuming is combined with steaming to avoid any unpleasant smell later.
– Steam eliminates 99.9% of germs and bacteria, when done in test lab. In real life it all depends on dirt build-up and time of steaming.
– Steam mop easily removes tough, sticky messes from hard surfaces.
– It uses edge bristles to sweep debris away from edges and clean them using suction and/or microfiber mop pad.
– It measures 9x11x46.5 inches (23x28x118 cm) and weights around 10.1 pounds (around 4.6 kg). It is heavier than similar sized steam mops, but it is vacuum-steam mop combo.
– Water tank capacity is around 400 ml and tank is not removable. Bissell 1132A Symphony also comes with a cup that helps measure the proper amount of water (one needs 2 cups to fill the tank). It is recommended to use distilled/deionized water, to avoid scale build-up on the heater and other internal components and to avoid any marks and stains on cleaned area. If you run out of distilled water, use regular, tap water, but don’t do it regularly, especially if your tap water is hard one.
– device is easy to use with ‘Easy Touch Digital Controls’, 5-way adjustable handle and Quick-Release Mop Pad Tray. Also, it comes with 4 pads – 2 soft microfiber pads for cleaning hardwood floors and 2 though pads for scrubbing hard floors like tiles and similar. The vacuum uses washable filters (read the manual) that do job well, however, one can’t expect HEPA grade air filtration from device of this class.
Note: Bissell 1132 Symphony is recommended for hard floors like tiles, stone, vinyl, linoleum and similar. It is not recommended for hardwood and laminate floors – at least don’t use it on such surfaces often. Even ‘sealed hardwood floors’ could have issues, because sealant can have small, invisible cracks which can let moisture in the wood, leading to wood buckling and rotting. Occasional cleaning of such surfaces is possible, just be sure to test it on small, relatively ‘invisible’, area. Better safe than sorry …
Symphony and carpets? Bissell 1132A Symphony can be used on carpets, too. The carpet glider accessory can be purchased separately and using it, one can vacuum and ‘refresh’ carpets. Of course, bigger and stronger vacuums, with cleaning heads optimized for carpets and rugs, clean such surfaces better. But again, Symphony is optimized for hard surfaces and that where it should be used.
Power cord is 25 feet (around 7.6 m) long and it makes possible cleaning of larger area without constant plugging in and out. If you do need extension cord, remember that this device need at least 13-14 Amps current.
Unfortunately, there is no on-board automatic winding mechanism of any kind – most of the similar devices don’t have one, so it is not big minus 🙂
1132 model vs 1132A model? Difference between these two models are just in color, 1132 is red and 1132A is blue. Everything else is the same.
When using steam mops, there is usually no need to add any chemicals to ‘enhance’ the cleaning – that is why these cleaners use hot steam, after all. That goes for Symphony, too. Just be sure to change pads when they get dirty and be careful when changing them – they can be rather hot from steam.
How often one has to change pads? Well, that depends on how floors are dirty. If your floors are cleaned regularly and they are ‘low traffic floors’, pads can be changed after cleaning every 1500-2000 square feet (140-180 square meters) or simply clean the pads after each cleaning.
Vacuum before steam? This is recommendable practice, especially if the floors are really dirty. It perhaps prolongs the cleaning itself, but in the end it provide better results. Also, when vacuuming first, cleaning pads last longer and are changed less frequent.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to check Bissell 1132A Symphony All-in-One Vacuum and Steam Mop Amazon link (link opens in the new window).
With a degree in engineering, Kathryn Hansen loves to write about how things work. Having her own dilemmas on how to pick the best vacuum cleaner for her large family (with a handful of furry four-legged members as well), Kathryn decided to help others in the same situation. After all, vacuum cleaners are critical to a healthy lifestyle and people have a hard time choosing the best one for their needs.